Tuesday, April 30, 2013

cocktail sauce - whole 30 style!

So I am still going on strong with Whole 30 - but man, do I feel that sugar hangover. It's inevitable. I mean, I think I eat pretty healthy (compared to most) but I am nowhere near perfect so of course I am going to have that sugar crash.

I am also craving bread and cheese (and damn you Wegmans sample lady for lovingly pushing a whole wheat baguette covered ever so beautifully by a block of gouda). But I digress.

I am allowed seafood (wild-caught, sustainable seafood of course!) and I really wanted shrimp but who can eat plain shrimp? Not me, so I wanted cocktail sauce with it. But of course cocktail sauce (the typical kind you'd get at a restaurant or the store) is not really "whole 30 compliant"...

So I did some (a lot) of googling and lo and behold - I give you whole 30 cocktail sauce!


  • tomato sauce (1 tablespoon)
  • chopped celery (half a teaspoon)
  • horseradish (half a tablespoon)
  • sat & pepper (half a teaspoon)
  • lemon juice (half a tablespoon)

Now, I could not, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, find the measurements for this so I just experimented to taste so I recommend you do the same.

I mixed all the ingredients and I was pretty happy with it. Reminded me of cocktail sauce but also had a nice tang to it.



I ate it, so obviously I recommend this.

I also tried to make Whole 30 approved mayo but that did not work out as well. Guess I'm sticking to avocado as a substitute!

6 days down... 24 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment