Thursday, December 20, 2012

After the tragic events on Friday, I've been feeling a little helpless.



If a national disaster happens, what do you do? You donate money, you help out the people affected by offering them shelter & food, and you come together to fix areas that have been destroyed. And that is exactly what happened in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy.

But after a tragedy like the shooting in Connecticut? What do you do after that? It's a very different circumstance... and sadly, one that has happened in schools in the past and very well may happen again, God forbid.  I've been racking my brain because I know that there must be SOMETHING I could do.

Maybe it's the gym nut in me or the runner in me or just plain coincidence but I found something that I could do (and you could do it too).

Active.com is offering a virtual half-marathon event (don't worry, there is a 5K option too!). The registration money will benefit the United Way of Western Connecticut Sandy Hook Victims.

This is a virtual run - meaning you can complete it anywhere in the world and you have until January 31st to complete your miles. You can sign up for the half marathon option and complete the miles over the month of January if you want. Or all at once. Or pick the 5K option. Do a mile a day. Whatever you want.

The important thing is, this is one way you can help the victims in Connecticut. In a situation where I've felt hopeless, I have found something I could do. I enjoy running and knowing my registration money will be going directly to the victims makes it worth it.

 This won't bring the children or teachers back and it won't change how people feel about gun control or safer schools and it won't change the violence that overtakes our world. But it is something I am capable of. I can pay the measly $20 registration fee and run those 3.1 miles for a purpose.

For more information and to register go here.




No comments:

Post a Comment