Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pretzel Button Cookies

I've been spending a lot of time on Pinterest lately, pinning recipes I want to try, DIY projects that look fun and easy, and home decorating ideas that make me so excited to one day own my own living space (poor Dan, I don't think he realizes how insane I might go with paint colors and interior decorating).

I wanted to make something sweet - but something easy too. I am not the best cook but have been looking to practice for a while and figured I'd start slow and work my way up. (The goal? To be able to cook a turkey the first Thanksgiving we live in a house - however, my mom may need to be my co-pilot on that one).

I found these Pretzel Button Cookies on Pinterest and thought "this looks so easy" and it was! I've made them twice already - but be warned, they are very dangerous. I have to keep them put away or else I will mindlessly eat all of them in one sitting - they are that yummy. They are a PMSing girl's DREAM - salty and chocolately? Amazing.

You only need 3 ingredients (that's what appealed to me the most):
  • Pretzels (you can use the square snaps pretzels or circle pretzels. I used the square ones because I couldn't find the circle ones at Giant)
  • Hershey Kisses (you can use any flavor but I went with the classic plain boring chocolate)
  • M&Ms (just the plain ones but any color. I just got a regular bag but for Christmas I plan on getting the Christmas M&Ms)
Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees.

Grab a cookie tray and line it with parchment paper (parchment paper is my best friend - practically no mess and no clean-up) and place the pretzels down.


Then unwrap the Hershey Kisses and place 1 on each pretzel.


Place pan in the oven - but make sure you keep an eye on it. You want the kisses to start melting JUST ENOUGH so they still retain their shape but you can easily place the M&Ms on them. Depending on your oven it could take a few minutes - mine took at least 5-7 minutes.


 Take out your melty but still shaped kisses out of the oven. Start taking the M&Ms and slowly and carefully place each M&M in the center of each kiss and push down slowly to spread the chocolate. If you notice the kisses aren't going down easily you may need to put them BACK in the oven for a couple more minutes. This happened to me the first time I made these.


Ideally, they should look like these babies above. Let them sit so the chocolate can harden again (fridge works best) and then try not to eat all of them in one sitting.

Seriously, try. It's really hard.

And the best part? Each one is only about 31 calories.

I know, these aren't hard to make so I can't really consider myself a baker. But it's a nice small stepping stone. This week/weekend I want to tackle my mother-in-law's family recipe for butter cookies. I have Halloween cookie cutters and everything!

Considering this is supposed to be a blog about how I'm trying to be a good housewife, I hope to post my successful (and not so successful) cooking and baking attempts.

Now I am going to try and not eat all these pretzel button cookies I made yesterday..... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment