Saturday, January 19, 2013

Abominable Slowman 5K

I ran my first official 5K since October. I took a break, mostly because the last couple months running sounded torturous and I didn't want to run in the cold but ever since I started running again I knew I was going to have to bite the bullet and start signing up for some 5Ks again if I wanted to eventually start running 10Ks and then my half marathon (less than 6 months away!).

It took place at a park in this cute area near us called Chesterbrook. I didn't think it would be that big of a race but there was about 300 runners overall.

RIP blue headband. At some point during the race, I lost it.

It was cold. REALLY COLD. And windy. My legs felt frozen the second we got out of the apartment and into the car. Luckily the sun was out.


 they had a dinosaur!

I was nervous because it was cold, my legs felt heavy, and I could see a lot of serious runners. I never place in 5Ks (I'm too slow compared to these super fast runners) but I tend to do okay for myself.

Dan came to watch (like he always does! he took all these pictures, by the way) but even he was cold.

 It's hard to see but that's me under the arrow!


Blurry but he got me again!


This was a rough race. The cold and wind slowed me down and my legs tingled and felt like lead the whole time. I am not super thrilled with my time (finished under 33 minutes) but I know just finishing is an accomplishment.  

nobody looks good in a race photo



The best part about running in 5Ks is the free stuff. You usually get water and bananas and at this race they had soft pretzels, tomato pie, kind bars, and cool long sleeve tech t-shirts. We stuck around for the awards, though I didn't place (maybe one day).


And then because I was still so cold, we went to Michael's, the diner near us, and I devoured french toast and coffee. 



First official 5K in the books for 2013! I am going to try and do a few more up until my half training begins in March! You should do one with me - running a race is much more fun with a friend.

And now I rest some more, eat some more, and wait for the fabulous Marissa to come. Tonight we are venturing out in the cold for some girl time and drinks with Laura. Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment