Saturday, January 5, 2013

taco salad

So sometimes I like to watch infomercials and I think to myself "wow, this looks so cool. I should buy this" and 98% of the time I never do. (Like, hello... the magic bullet looks so cool! And that tiny knife sharpener thing...). But I have seen that perfect tortilla bowl infomercial 80,000 times. I have also had a bad craving for tacos/taco salad - basically anything with beef and cheese would make me happy. So I made Dan go to Bed Bath & Beyond with me and we FOUND THE PERFECT TORTILLA PAN!



 I went to Wegman's also and purchased the following:
  • lettuce
  • shredded cheese
  • pico de gallo
  • ground beef
  • soft taco shells
  • sour cream
Dan also got stuff for queso dip (velveeta cheese, tostitos & salsa.. though we argued about what kind of salsa. He wanted hot and I wanted mild. We settled in the middle and got medium... hey, part of being married is about compromising, right?).

Now, let me just confess. I do not have a lot of cooking experience (okay, that's not really a secret). I also do not have a lot of experience touching raw meat (besides chicken...) because basically, it creeps me out. But I did it.

I cooked up that beef and put my soft taco shell in my little tortilla pan and made myself a taco salad.


Max wanted some too... what a beggar.

I wish I had taken a picture of my tortilla shell IN the pan.. but alas, I forgot in my anxiety-ridden state of making sure my meat was not undercooked (another reason I avoid cooking meat..with my luck I'd get mad cow disease or something)
 


The salad was delicious and so was Dan's queso dip. And I think I've gotten over my fear of touching and cooking meat (maybe).

I always like when we stay in and cook on a Saturday night. And I am very grateful I have a mother I can call up and ask questions when I am clueless about cooking.

...

Aside from my first ground beef cooking experience, I did something sort of crazy (for me, anyway)!

I chopped off my hair!



 





I am very happy with it. I have had long hair most of my life (see the first picture!) & have always had a fear of getting it cut too short but I really like my hair stylist and told her I trusted her. And I think it looks pretty good! And since my life is soon to be overtaken by half marathon training and my hair has become a nuisance, I knew I needed to do something drastic. Now I feel so fresh and care-free...  which is always a good thing.

See, 2013 is already awesome.

Well, it is Saturday evening, which means I have a crazy night of plans ahead of me (sweatpants, my nook, chocolate greek yogurt, and cuddles with my puggle & husband). Enjoy your weekend. :)

1 comment:

  1. FYI - the Magic Bullet is freaking awesome! But, now after seeing informercials for it, I want a Ninja :)

    ReplyDelete