Monday, November 5, 2012

I am happy to say that Dan and I survived Hurricane Sandy. Our power stayed on and we had no damage outside our apartment complex (besides some fallen branches). For this, we are very grateful (and surprised - our apartment complex is not exactly immune to power outages during storms).

However, so many others were not so lucky.

I grew up in Ocean County, NJ. I grew up going to the beach and boardwalk whenever I wanted. I thought it was weird that people only went to the beach from Memorial Day to Labor Day. For me, going to the Seaside Heights boardwalk in the winter just to walk around was normal. Getting to sit on the beach any month of the year was normal.

I made the decision to move to PA and while I am happy I did, I do miss the beach and boardwalk and it broke my heart to see the Jersey shore destroyed by the hurricane. Seeing the photos of Seaside and the boardwalk kills me.

My parents still live in Ocean County (right near the bay) and are very very lucky - their house had very minimal damage and they were safe. Others, including people who live on my parents street, were not so lucky. Some people lost everything. I can't even imagine.

So even though I don't live there anymore, I am still shaken and affected by the damage and destruction Hurricane Sandy caused in Ocean County.

With the holiday season fast approaching (how is it November 5th already?!?), we have to remember to be grateful for what we have and to help each other. Do you part. Donate money or donate clothing or food or other items people need. Volunteer at a shelter. Let people stay at your place if you have power and hot water. Let's just be there for each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment